Frequently Asked Questions
Can I buy just 1?
The Brain Building Books are designed to be personalized with each child as part of an assessment, in therapy, or in tutoring – just like a protocol or workbook. They are sold in packs of 5 or more so that each child in your practice can take their book home with them to share with family, teachers, and others supporting them. This ensures that the conversation about their amazing brains continues!
If you are a parent, please contact me directly – I am currently working on a parent version and would love to speak with you! (After our interview, you will be given a special code to purchase a copy for your child.)
If you are a professional and are curious about what the book looks like to see if it would be a good fit for your practice, there’s a full preview of The Brain Building Book here, and Brain Building 101 here.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions. In the meantime, I hope you will take advantage of the many free downloadable tools and resources!
How do I personalize the book?
The pages of The Brain Building Book are meant to be written on! During my sessions with children, I put out a handful of colorful markers and we draw or write on each page together.
Many pages have specific prompts. On other pages, it may be helpful to write notes or draw pictures to document your conversations. They can write, you can write, or you can take turns!
For more training on using the books, go to www.BrainBuildingBook.com/webinars
How do I use this book in remote assessments?
During the COVID pandemic, some practitioners may need to use The Brain Building Book remotely. Here are a few tips to make the remote experience exciting for the child:
- Send the child a copy of the book in the mail – receiving a gift in the mail makes it extra special!
- Ask them to have colorful markers ready for your sessions
- Retain a copy for yourself, and use post-its to “write” in yours as you work on it together via video (so that you can use the same book again for the next child)
- If a child has difficulty writing, ask a parent to join the beginning or end of your testing session so that they can help.
Is there a digital copy available?
At this time, a digital copy is not available. Having done digital presentations previously (e.g through PowerPoint), I noticed that having a physical book was critical for engaging younger children. Having something concrete to take home or take to school is part of what has made this tool so powerful!
Another factor is that the information written in this book is HIPAA and FERPA protected, making digital transmission tricky.
I am a School Psychologist. How do I advocate for funding for a tool like this?
I definitely understand this predicament! As a school psychologist, I often struggled with wanting new materials but not sure how to get the funding. While it will be different for every practitioner, here are a few ideas:
- Ask your school site or director if they will reimburse for the 5-pack as a trial to see if this could be an effective tool for your district at a larger level
- Consider The Brain Building Book as an additional protocol for testing – one which will serve to help kids understand their results and be more active participants in their IEPs
- Consider The Brain Building Book as a therapy tool or curriculum for use with students after their assessment is complete
- If your district is interested in a larger order, additional discounts may be available
I'm a Parent. Can I get one for my child?
One of the most important goals of these books is to help parents continue the conversation about learning and developmental differences after an assessment!
That said, this book is currently written for practitioners to use as part of the assessment, or as a counseling tool after testing is completed. If you think it could be helpful for your child, please contact your child’s team to let them know about the book!
Update 6/20/22: I am now working on a parent version of the book. If you are interested in helping me build it, please contact me directly at Liz@DrLizAngoff.com. I would love to interview you about your journey! After our interview, you will be given a special code to purchase a single copy of the book for your child.